A Discussions Moderator is a user who has additional tools available to manage conversations in various features across the community where users are having social discussions. These tools are:
- Removing and restoring threads and replies from any user.
- Closing and reopening threads
- In the Forum feature specifically, moderators also have the ability to manage Forum boards, move threads from one board to another, and highlight and un-highlight threads.
- Moderating chat
- Deleting blog comments
- Editing and deleting article comments
- Moderating the Discussions feature, if enabled.
Having this status causes "DISCUSSIONS MODERATOR" to appear next to the username on the user's user page, unless changed on MediaWiki:User-identity-box-group-threadmoderator.